Functions of the GTAEC
- To serve as an apex advisory body to Government of India for research and development in the field of gene therapy in India.
- To perform a comprehensive review of the pre-IND (Investigational New Drug) and IND applications of Gene Therapy Products.
- To formulate policies to inculcate scientific and ethical practices amongst stakeholders.
- To provide a forum for discussion of issues involved in basic and clinical research and progress in the field of gene therapy.
- To assess periodically the adequacy of the document in light of advancements occuring globally.
- To consider the unforeseen issues of public interests.